Friday 17 April 2009

Pieces in a jigsaw

Now that I had refined and tested my pattern to a stage where I was happy with it, I can now cut the entire coat almost in one go, rather than be designing and cutting in tandem.
Because of this, I realised how few pieces I actually needed to cut to make the coat!

The complete list is as follows:

ALCANTARA
Back - 2
Fronts - 2
Lapels - 2
Collar - 2
Sleeves - 4
Outer pockets (welts & flaps) - 8
TOTAL - 20


(above - the freshly cut lapels)

LINING
Back - 2
Fronts - 2
Sleeves - 4
TOTAL - 8


ORANGE DUPION
Inside pocket welts - 2
TOTAL - 2
(above - the outer pockets, Alcantara parts)

BROWN MOLESKIN
Inside pocket backs - 2
TOTAL - 2


POCKET LININGS
Inside pockets - 2
Outer pockets - 2
TOTAL - 4

(above - cutting the upper sleeve)

GRAND TOTAL - 36

(below - cutting the front linings)

It seems odd to quantify the coat down to just 36 pieces of cloth, with all the complexity of its design and style. Each piece needs to be cut to reflect this and in some cases the slightest mistake can mean a seam does not meet correctly, having far reach effects.


Now all I have to do is sew them together . . . . trick is in the right order and the right way!

3 comments:

  1. Is there any way you can possibly post your pattern for this coat? I really want to make it, and doing a pattern from scratch seems a little daunting to me. I can't seem to wrap my brain around how this works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now work as a bespoke tailor, so patterns like this are my bread and butter.

      Delete
  2. I'm trying to make a reasonably accurate 10th Drs coat for a 12 year old girl who is an obsessive Dr Who fan.its for her birthday present!
    I have found a good fabric for the coat and lining but am having a difficult time trying to find a pattern that is even close for a child that size.
    any ideas or recommendations

    ReplyDelete